Monday, February 7, 2022

Historically speaking

A saying I subscribe to is "Family History is Local History, and Local History is Family History.." I am a huge fan of history, especially Detroit History. As I am working on my genealogy and going through the pictures and other possessions of my late parents and news articles on the internet, I come across numerous photos. news articles and memorabilia that document the city's history over the past 100 years. Mom's family has been in Detroit since 1920, and Dad and his family has been here since the late 1940s and early 1950s. To learn of Black Detroit during this time is extremely informative. Conditions may not have been ideal at work and other areas, but Black Detroit made a way through schools, church, clubs, and other activities. Through all my research, My grandmother's family lived on the southeast side of Detroit, but frequented the North End  and parts of Northwest Detroit before moving west in the 1950s to raise families and grow personally and professionally. Dad's family was here starting in the late 1940s. Dad and his parents were up here in the early 1950s. They first stayed near downtown Detroit (I ran across an old classified ad from the 50s for "Colored" apartments near the old Black Bottom section of Detroit), then moved northwest. Many of the institutions that my family have frequented in the past are no longer around, but they live on through the memories of those who lived through these experiences, various archives online and at various institutions,  and other resources, 




 

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...