Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Memorialized at School

As I am going to visit various locations that are important in my family's history and journey here in metro Detroit, I stop by Southeastern High School, shown above, which a number of family members attended. As I am visiting, I notice a monument, shown below, in front of the school. Getting closer, I notice that this is a memorial to former students who served our country during World War 2. It was dedicated by the classes of January and June 1944-1948.  I was reminded of a couple of pages in a relative's yearbook about a young man who graduated from Southeastern in the early 1930s who died on December 7, 1941 in defense of his country. He received the Medal of Honor posthumously. In the yearbook. they showed the letters his parents received from his branch of service notifying them of their son's passing. I know there are memorials like this at other schools around the country, but this is the first I have seen in Detroit. 



 

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...