Thursday, September 7, 2023

Torchlighting to help all


 As I am going about town on Monday afternoon, reliving some memories from my past and the history of my family, I come across this building for World Medical Relief, which is now in Southfield. I notice a mention that it was a Torch Drive service. The Torch Drive was annually put on by the United Foundation (now the United Way) around Christmas time. Ads were placed in the paper to solicit donations, and would sometimes list which agencies would benefit from the donations. Many public and private organizations,  religious and secular groups, veterans, alumni and other groups would regularly donate to the Torch Drive to help the greater Detroit area and those in need. 

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...