Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Incinerating thoughts

While going through my late grandmother's house recently, I noticed this Warm Morning In House Incinerator in the basement. In house incinerators were fairly common in houses built before the mid to late 1960s. Trash, and from what I hear, cloth diapers, training pants and feminine hygiene products ( the days before these products were disposable) were put in here to be burned. The 1970s and 1980s put an end to these incinerators due to environmental issues and other concerns, and many people had these removed. I had an incinerator in the house I grew up in, and I remember asking my mother what they were for. She had mentioned at some time about feminine hygiene products being burned back in the days.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...