Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Nursing School Grads


While at Providence Hospital in Southfield recently, I ran across a display of pictures of the former Providence Hospital Nursing School, which was in operation from 1910 to 1975, whose class picture is seen here. The school moved with the hospital from Detroit to Southfield in the 1960s. I posted the picture of the class of 1954, whose picture I also post here, to a Facebook group I belong to, called I Went to Catholic School in Metro Detroit, and quite a few people who had relatives (Mom, grandmother, aunt, etc) who were in nursing school at Providence, or they themselves were student nurses here during the school's existence. One of the members of the group that graduated from Providence Nursing school in the 1960s wrote that the first male nurses graduated from Providence in the  late '60s. The only other nursing school affiliated with a hospital that I am aware of in the metro area from days gone by are the Henry Ford Hospital School of Nursing and Hygiene and Harper Hospital's Nursing School, whose Helen Newberry Nurses Home still stands today. 

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...