Sunday, August 5, 2012

Detroit Institue of Arts


This picture of the Detroit Institute of Arts is one of my favorites taken this past Weekend. I was leaving the main Library after doing some research, and was about to catch the bus downtown for lunch. The DIA is one of the top locations for locals and for Tourists alike. Reading about their history on the DIA's website, I see that the present building was built in the 1920s, and has many amenities, such as an auditorium and a research library. I remember coming here with my Mom and Dad when I was a kid and a teenager to take in new art exhibits. I noticed as I was doing my family History that my Mom had her dance recital here in the mid 1950s. Many civic and charitable organizations have their events here. One that comes to mind is Bal Africain, which focuses mainly on African Art. The last time I was here was back in either late 2007-2008, when the DIA reopened after a major renovation, and the public was afforded free admission. My favorite exhibits were of American and European art, as well as Religious art.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...