Thursday, December 13, 2018

News of the past


Washington Boulevard trolleys '80Washington Boulevard trolleys '80 Thu, Mar 13, 1980 – Page 3 · Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States of America) · Newspapers.comAs I look at some of the articles I have clipped  on Newspapers.com, I run across a few I would like to share with you. This first article is about the old Washington Boulevard trolleys that ran between Grand Circus Park and the Renaissance Center  in downtown Detroit from the 1970s-2003. The Detroit Department of Transportation ran these trolleys way back when. There is a group on Facebook called Detroit Transit History Memories that has some info on the trolleys.   I clearly remember the "Watch for Trolley" signs in front of Cobo Hall.. The Trolley Plaza apartments on Washington Boulevard were named for these trolleys. 

Cold out here '84. I was a couple of weeks old when this occurredCold out here '84. I was a couple of weeks old when this occurred Sun, Jan 22, 1984 – Page 1 · Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States of America) · Newspapers.comCold out here '84 pt 2Cold out here '84 pt 2 Sun, Jan 22, 1984 – Page 2 · Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States of America) · Newspapers.comThis article was about the coldest day since 1872 in Detroit, January 20-21, 1984. I think this got beat by a cold snap 10 years later in the winter of 1994, and possibly again within the past 10 years. I was a few weeks old when this happened. 




July tornadoes '97. The sky turned green this dayJuly tornadoes '97. The sky turned green this day Thu, Jul 3, 1997 – Page 1 · Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, United States of America) · Newspapers.comThese tornadoes, I still remember.I was 13 years old, on summer vacation between the 7th and 8th grades The sky turned a yellowish-green and tornadoes tore through Hamtramck and the Grosse Pointes, enclave and suburbs of Detroit. Thank goodness my parents house or my grandmother's house didn't see as much as a power outage. Many people lost most of their possessions in this storm, and were cleaning up for a while after this. 

Fultz Quads at Bethune Cookman Homecoming Parade '65Fultz Quads at Bethune Cookman Homecoming Parade '65 Sat, Nov 6, 1965 – Page 6 · The Pittsburgh Courier (Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania) · Newspapers.comThis picture is a first for me. These ladies are the Fultz Quadruplets, who I wrote a blog about in 2014. These young ladies were at Bethune Cokman college at this time, and were participating in the homecoming parade The last of the Fultz Quadruplets, Mary Catherine, died in October 2018.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...