Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Legion Centennial plus One

American Legion parade on Woodward '31American Legion parade on Woodward '31 Wed, Sep 23, 1931 – Page 33 · Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Michigan) · Newspapers.com As I am working on my genealogy, I learn that my great-grandfather, my mom's maternal grandfather, was an active member of the American Legion, which celebrated its centennial in 2019. It was founded in 1919 through an act of Congress. Their annual convention came to Detroit for the first-and so far only-time in September 1931 and there were a number of activities for members of the Legion and the Ladies' Auxiliary, including a parade down Woodward Avenue, religious services at both Christian and Jewish houses of worship, and many other special events. My Great Grandfather was a member of the Charles Young post of the Legion, post 77 in Detroit. He was the chaplain at one time (he was a deacon at the church my grandmother's family attended, and possibly had a spiritual role in the masonic lodge he was a member of), and he was the treasurer of the post at the time of his death in the mid-1950s. Currently, the post is no longer standing. It has been replaced by the  John Dingell VA Medical Center in Detroit's Medical Center. Are you or someone you know are related to a member of any veterans organization? How has this experience enriched you or their lives?

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...