Sunday, May 17, 2020

Party Time, I'll set the party tray out


Farmer Jack was always a Gem of a store. 
My late mother had a saying when I was a kid and a teenager: "Clean up, you find things!" She used to use this whenever I cleaned up and found something I forgot I had. During the quarantine, I was, and still am, cleaning up the house and getting things ready to go to charity that are no longer needed by me or my dad, but might be of use to someone else. As I am tidying up, I found this gem of a brochure. It is from the Farmer Jack chain of supermarkets in the metro Detroit area, which went out of business in 2007. Farmer Jack was my mom's go-to supermarket. We'd go on Friday night after my mom got home from work, and after she was out of work, she would still go to do her weekly shopping on Friday nights, The one near my house had a large kosher food selection for the Jewish population in my hometown, and special foods for the Jewish high holy days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, Purim, Hanukkah, Passover, and other special days and observances.  These party trays were well known in the deli, with many different selections for occasions as small as a get together of five friends, to a large holiday party for 100 people. Nearly all palates would be met, as well as dietary restrictions if requested. A memory I have of these party trays are of my parents getting party trays if they had family over, and they would have appetizers on the table before dinner was served if it was a dinner party. Nowadays, you can find a party tray at any warehouse club (Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's, etc) or the deli at your local supermarket. 





No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...