Saturday, September 29, 2018

Centennial of car building

I read in the Detroit News the other day about the centennial of the Ford Rouge Factory, and thought I should read up about it's history over the years. Henry Ford wanted to have a totally self-sufficient factory, so he had his own fleet of freighters and rubber was brought in from a Ford-owned plantation in Brazil. Designed by architect Albert Kahn, who designed many other buildings in Detroit and the metro area, Construction took place in the late 1910s through 1928, and the factory first started building boats. Over the years, cars and tanks (built during World War II) were manufactured here, and currently, the Ford F150 is built here. One of the more unique features of the Rouge complex is the "Living Roof," which helps make the plant energy efficient. In 1937, the Battle of the Overpass occurred, which was pivotal in the histories of both Ford, who was the last of the Big Three automakers to unionize, and the United Auto Workers union. There was a Trade School on site for young men to learn a trade and get to work. The Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association is still active today. A part of my family history is here at Rouge, as my maternal great-grandfather worked here as a machinist from the 1920s-1950s, and my father worked in the foundry here in the early 1960s for a time.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...