Saturday, January 5, 2013

MCS after 25 years

I was reading on the Detroit Free Press' Facebook Page about the 25th Anniversary of the closing of the Michigan Central Station in January 1988. The station was built a century ago, and had a long history of being a passenger train station that was very busy on most days.   Amtrak was the last train service to use the station, and are now located at a small station at 11 Baltimore in Midtown. The station is currently owned by Manuel "Matty" Moroun, the owner of the nearby Ambassador Bridge. My mother had told me many a time how my grandpaerents left for their honeymoon in the late 1940s. I can imagine offices or small businesses in the old train station tower, and more than freight trains passing by the station.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...