Monday, January 18, 2021

Grocery shopping in the past

We all have been hearing so much lately about supporting minority businesses. I look through some family archives, and I find old documents from an African-American owned business that opened a supermarket in Detroit, The business was called "Our Enterprises", and it aimed to unite the black community in Detroit after the riots in 1967. A group led by entrepreneur M. Stewart Thompson recruited investors and sold stock in the business in 1968, and after a few setbacks, Our Market opened in May of 1970, Our Market near the intersection of Dexter and Joy Road in northwest Detroit. The business went well for some time, but eventually, the store closed in 1972. I mention Our Market and Our Enterprises because my father always mentioned this store and that he owned stock in the company before it folded. He always mentioned that it was an attempt to bring a positive business to the area after the riot. 

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...