Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Boblo Island Blog

Here's a picture taken June 19, 2010 of the old Detroit Dock to Boblo Island, which was a former amusement park in Amherstburg, Ontario. The boats stopped running in 1991, and the amusement park closed in 1993, and is now home to many luxury houses and condos. An interesting page about the boats and the Island is Boblo Steamers. It has a lot of cool pictures and info about the island. I have very few memories of going over to the island as a youngster in the late 1980s with my Mom and my friends on the boat. The last time I saw one of the Boblo Boats was back in June 2007 when one of the steamers was on display during River Days. Many people who grew up in Detroit from the 1930s-1980s have fond memories of riding the boat to the island for a day of fun with family and friends, and also of the Moonlight cruises on the river. The building is currently abandoned now. I don't know if anyone has any ideas for the building or not. This would be good for offices, lofts, or something of a shipping nature, considering it's right on the river. I'd try to keep the sign that says "Boblo Island Detroit Dock" and use it for historical purposes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...