Monday, June 7, 2010

Womens City Club of Detroit Building

Here are some pictures I took on Saturday of the Womens City Club building downtown. It's been designated as a Michigan Historic site since 1980, five years after the club moved out of these quarters. According to the page on the National Park Service website, This building was designed by the husband of Mary Chase Stratton, who founded Pewabic Pottery and member of the club. There were many Pewabic Tiles adorning the building, including the ones pictured here. These tiles remind me of drops of water. . There were also different organizations within the club that had meetings and speakers there. I like the arched doorway at the entrance of the building an always wonder what the club was like back in its heyday in the 1940s and '50s. Here are a few pictures of the tiles in the club in the 1950s from the Wayne State Virtual Motor City Collection (Click on the words to get to the pics). The building is currently abandoned looks like it's about to be rehabilitated in some way, with new windows. I wonder what'll be there in the long run.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...