Monday, August 2, 2010

Skating Points of Origin

Whenever I'm at the Hart Plaza Ampitheatre, I always think of when it was used as an ice skating rink back in the days, as shown in this picture (circa 1979) from WSU Virtual Motor City. I remember when my city's Winter Break travel camp took us here to go ice skating in the mid 1990s, around 1993-1994 era. . Ice skating is currently held in Campus Martius Park, which is north of here. Ice skating downtown is still a popular draw in the winter time, especially during the Winter Blast, which started in 2006 for the Super Bowl, which was held in Detroit. There was a trial run for the event in 2005
This is the Point of Origin marker in Campus Martius Park downtown. It shows the point where city leaders started to map out the city in 1806, a year after the fire that destroyed the city. The city is plotted out from this point. The West marker is partially covered by flowers at the new Fountain Bistro restaurant at Campus Martius, which took over the space Au Bon Pain once occupied.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...