Thursday, August 12, 2010

RenCen History


The Renaissance Center is one of the most recognizable buildings on the Detroit skyline. The project was first proposed in 1971, and was completed in 1977. According to the RenCen's website, is over five million square feet in size, and now houses General Motors, a Marriott Hotel, and many other businesses, including a CVS and clothing stores in the structures shown in this picture. . The building in front of this shot is Ford Auditorium, which is now vacant. My parents remember when the RenCen opened, and my mom told me that she, my grandparents and my aunt stayed at the hotel, formerly part of the Westin chain of Hotels, shortly after it opened. There's a set of good pictures from Wayne State University on the building of the RenCen. I remember coming here as a Teenager with my Mom and we'd have lunch and do some window shopping.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...