Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bagley Fountain


The picture I post today is of Bagley Fountain in Campus Martius Park. This was a gift from John J. Bagley, who, was a governor in Michigan in the 1870s, and worked in the Tobacco industry after moving to Michigan (info on Gov. Bagley courtesy of Wikipedia. The picture on the Wikipedia of Gov. Bagley has him with a really interesting beard). It was originally a working water fountain back in the old days . according to the Ask.com Encyclopedia, he left some money in his will for a fountain to be built after his death so that Detroiters could have something to drink. Now, the fountain is no longer working, and stands here in Cadillac Square near Bates. I like the little lion heads in the center, which used to dispense water to the public.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...