Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Metropolitan Building

The Metropolitan Building is one of the most unique buildings in Downtown Detroit. It's located on John R. street, a hop, skip, and a jump away from Woodward Avenue, and walking distance from Comerica Park and Ford Field, as well as the Broadway People Mover stop. The center tower reminds me of a castle or another grand building. According to the building's Wikipedia page, The building was built and opened in the mid 1920s, and closed in the late 1970s, and was used for Jewelers back in the days. Looking at the Buildings of Detroit Page on the buildng, I see that the building had specialty machines for the jewelers and rented out space for those selling their wares in the world of jewelry. The paintings on the building have been there for quite a while now. I wonder what will happen with this building, and if it will be used for a new purpose, or torn down to make room for something else.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...