Friday, September 10, 2010

YouTube Friday: When the World Stopped Turning: A 9/11 tribute

Today's YouTube Friday entry is a September 11 tribute, posted by YouTube user MEGARA2009. Tomorrow marks nine years since the events that literally changed America, if not the world. Where were you when these events happened? I was a seventeen year old Senior in High School at the time, and I had a doctor's appointment that day, so I was home from school . I had gone back to sleep after changing clothes, and when I got up from my short nap at about 8:30-9 AM, I heard a breaking news bulletin on the radio telling everyone about what had just happened in New York City. I then went to go to see my parents, who were sitting in the kitchen watching the news on TV, and I spoke with them about what was going on. My Dad had told me to e-mail my cousin, who was living in New Jersey at the time, to see if he and his family were okay. I spoke to my parents about this before my Mom and I left for my Doctor's appointment. When we got to the hospital, all hospital staff was on High alert just in case someone was airlifted from New York, Pennsylvania, or Washington DC. I also remember the moments of Silence around town, and especially at school in the days and weeks following the attacks, the show of Patriotism that was displayed around the country (There was a giant flag being carrried by the Detroit Police and Fire Department in the 2001 Thanksgiving Parade, and Lee Greenwood was in the Parade singing his song "Proud to Be an American"), and people reaching out to help others.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...