Monday, May 10, 2010

Gomidas and Ford Auditorium

Here are a couple of pictures that I took on Saturday that I'd like to share with you all today. These are new angles and an overlooked statue that I saw. Here is the old Ford Auditorium from the Atwater side of the building. This is near the new Port of Detroit downtown on the riverfront. This is an angle that many people have taken pictures of. My late mother told me that she had her prom here back in the late 1960s. The auditorium closed in the 1990s. Here are some pictures from the Wayne State Virtual Motor City of Ford Auditorium from its heyday. This picture is of a statue near Hart Plaza and the entrance to the Lodge Freeway downtown from Detroit's Armenian community that's dedicated to all who died during the 1915 Armenian Genocide. This is the first time I've really gotten a close look at this. I've seen this statue in passing and wondered who this statue depicts. A quick search on Wikipedia finds that this statue depicts Komitas Vardapet ( Gomitas Vardabed in Western Armenian), who, according to the Komitas Virtual Museum website, he was a member of the Clergy, and was involved in Music.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was a priest, a composer who studied in Berlin and is responsible for many accomplishments. He was among the intellectuals who were arrested to be taken and massacred by the Ottoman Turks on April 24, 1915. Through the intevention of a Turkish friend Poet and American Ambassador, Henry Morgenthau, he was released. After learning of the atrocities that befell his people where 1.5 million were butchered, he never recovered and died in a psychiatric clinic in Paris. This statue in downtown Detroit is a memorial to the victims of the Armenian Genocide.

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...