Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yellow Pages and Sanders

These pictures that I post today are of a couple of historic and Iconic places known to many Metro Detroiters. The first two pictures are of the old Bell Telephone building on Oakman near the Lodge Freeway. The Yellow Pages sign once lit up and the time flashed on the top of the sign. Many people remember seeing the sign lit up while they were traveling on the freeway. This building was built in 1930, and from the looks of this sign, this was places sometime between the '50s and '70s. I have a personal connection to this building. My Mom worked here back in the days, and she would always tell me how nice it was to work here with her co-workers at the Yellow Pages.
This building once housed offices for Sanders confections. Now, The only sign that Sanders was here is an old sign for the Receiving entrance on the side of the building. The building is mainly vacant now. It reminds me of a school instead of an office building. I will research more on both buildings and update you all on them when I get more info.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...