Sunday, July 11, 2010

Buses and Lights on the weekend

It's been quite the weekend here in Detroit in the Metro area. Two of the stories that stand out are the Bus Drivers sick-out and the Downtown power outage that took place yesterday, July 10

Many of the city bus drivers had a sick-out yesterday in apparent protest over the use of a bus for a well-liked colleague's funeral that was held yesterday. The first thing I noticed that something was up was when I saw more people and less buses at the bus terminal near me. I heard about the sick-out when I had gotten off the bus to do some comparison shopping for something I was looking for. After that, I headed downtown. When I got there, I went over to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, pictured here, and saw all the media there for a mid-morning press conference with the director of the DOT. The sparse number of city buses on the roads reminded me of the May 2007 city bus drivers strike, in which all city buses were off the road to protest the treatment of the drivers on a daily and nightly basis. I got all the buses I needed to take yesterday to get from here to there, in a timely manner, thank goodness.

The other big story of the weekend was the downtown power outage that took away lighting to much of the downtown area. The Intersection here is Woodward and Clifford/John R downtown. As of this evening, the problem seems to be getting under control. I heard about this on the radio yesterday morning, as well, and noticed more areas than those mentioned with their power out, namely north on Woodward to the Grand Circus Park/Foxtown area of downtown, South to Jefferson/Cobo Center area, East to Greektown, and West to the Washington Boulevard area. The reason that the city gave was that the heat of the past week or so had gotten to the lines, which were older, and that the electric company was getting to everything, especially to the hospitals on the grid. . The People Mover was shut down for much of today, and yesterday, as well. The sign was in the door of the Times Square station of the People Mover for all who wanted to ride. As I was taking my walk, I noticed that the shuttles from downtown bars, clubs, etc were packed to the back seats and then some for yesterday afternoon's Tigers game at Comerica Park , and many people walked from the various parking lots and decks to Comerica Park. It's been an interesting weekend, to say the least. I hope you all had a good weekend, and hope your week goes well.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...