Monday, July 5, 2010

Peregrine sighting in the Park

As I was going through the park before my city's Independence Day festivities today, I noticed this Peregrine Falcon that was perched on the top of a Jungle Gym in the kids play area. I know it's rare to see one of these here in the Metro Detroit area, and wondered what was it doing so close to where people usually hang out at. I showed these pictures to my Dad when I got home, and he told me that there were some falcons in downtown Detroit in the '70s or the '80s. He also said that this falcon may have been looking for squirrels or chipmunks or something like that. I put the zoom on my camera so I wouldn't disturb the falcon. He just sat there like nobody was there to see him. I looked for info online, and found this site about the Peregrine Falcon from the site All about Birds. The Peregrine hunts medium birds. and is a common sight in the western US and a seasonal sight in Canada and in South America. . This is an adult Peregrine that's pictured here
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...