Monday, July 19, 2010

Houses of Worship: Old St. Mary's Catholic Church


The Downtown House of Worship I profile today is Old St. Mary's in Downtown Detroit. This Church has many German touches from when it started as a Catholic Church for German-speaking Detroiters. It has occupied its current location since 1884. The Church is Celebrating its jubilee next month with many special activities. My favorite parts of the church are the recognizable steeples, shown here, and the Stations of the Cross inside. The three buildings of the Church, Rectory and the old school building were classified as Historic Sites by the state of Michigan. A lot of people stop in for daily and Sunday masses or to just look around before daily or Saturday/Sunday Masses.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...