Thursday, July 15, 2010

Interesting Historic Buildings

I saw this picture of the old Detroit Free Press building (click the words for the Wikipedia Page) and the old Pretty Bouquet flower shop downtown, and it made me think of a picture I saw in a book of the downtown branch of the Detroit Public Library being dwarfed by the old Hudsons building, which was demolished in 1998. The Free Press has since moved to the Detroit News building just west of this location. I think that the old Free Press building reminds me of the old Hudsons Building and the old Michigan Bell Telephone building (pictured here with the Yellow Pages sign) on Oakman Blvd. near the Detroit/Highland Park border. I don't know if the buildings are designed by the same architect or not, because they look so much alike in many ways, especially the wings on both sides of the main tower. I like finding out about the history of the old buildings in downtown Detroit and in the Metro area. There's always a history in the old buildings and in the new buildings, as well. It may not be so obvious from the first glance, but once you find out more on them, it seems to have more meaning.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...