Sunday, July 25, 2010

Houses of Worship: Central United Methodist Church

The Church I profile today in my Downtown Houses of Worship series on TWaSBL is Central United Methodist Church. This is right down Woodward from St. John's Episcopal Church, its neighbor to the north. It's the oldest Protestant Congregation in Detroit, and was founded in 1810,according to the Church's website. They are celebrating their Bicentennial this year, and have a lot of events lined up. They also have a museum on an adjacent building nearby to promote peace. Often, if you are going to or from the Tigers game at nearby Comerica Park, you can see some of Central's parishioners selling peanuts near the Church. The thing I find interesting about this church is the clock on the steeple. There are four of them, facing north, south, east and west.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...