Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"The Joe"

Joe Louis Arena is a very popular place this evening. The Red Wings are playing this evening against Phoenix in the NHL Playoffs. Here's hoping for a Wings Win this evening! Go Wings! Joe Louis Arena has been home to the Detroit Red Wings since the late 1970s, replacing the former Olympia Stadium, which has since been demolished. Joe Louis has been host to a number of events over the years, ranging from Ice shows to Circuses (My mom has a picture of me at the Ringling Brothers Circus from the late '80s at Joe Louis). I was last at the Joe for TigerFest back in 2006, which was the last year the event was held there before moving to Comerica Park in 2007. The arena was built in the '70s, and is one of the older stadiums in the NHL. I found out on a Diamond Jack boat tour a couple of years back that one of the first events held here was the 1980 Republican Convention, where Ronald Reagan was nominated for the Presidency. I found that fact interesting. I hope you found this interesting
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...