Monday, October 11, 2010

Watching kids on Social Media

I'm reading an article on USA Today about parents watching over their kids when they are using Social Media websites such as Facebook or MySpace. I think that it's important for parents to know what their kid is up to online without being too overbearing or too harsh on them. I know when I was young, my parents wanted to know what websites I visited and I even shared an e-mail address with my Dad at one time before I got my own. There are some websites out there, such as WiredSafety, and various other sites, that will help you to become more tech savvy so that you can help you keep your eyes out on your kids while online. Some parents even go so far as to "Friend" their kids on Facebook and "Following" them on Twitter. This also reminds me of the so-called "Helicopter" parents, who want to follow their kids once they leave the nest for college or for a life on their own, and get into their child's life once they're no longer under their roof. I think that people should educate themselves, and most importantly, know about your kids habits and who they hang around with at school and around town.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...