Monday, December 20, 2010

Year in Review: Detroit Back-To-School Parade

The Back To School parade is a relatively new event in the city. It started in 2009 as a way to help register and motivate students for the new school year. This year's parade was on August 26, 2010, and stretched down Woodward from Grand Circus Park to Hart Plaza, where a Rally took place with singers and motivational speakers. I enjoyed seeing all the different schools and community resources that turned out for the parade. Many onlookers lined Woodward to see the Parade and what all was going down along Woodward. The Spirit of Detroit was even outfitted with a new T-shirt for the occasion, which was worn until school started in September. The blue "I'm In" truck ventured into neighborhoods to register new students that may have been lost to Suburban, private, religious, or charter schools in neighboring communities. I think that the Back-To-School Parade will have more people out there in the future.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...