Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Year in Review-Near Perfect game: the day after

The beginning of June bought with it a rare, yet seemingly common occurence. On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga, a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers, took a bid for a perfect game (which would have been the first perfect game in Tiger History) into the bottom of the ninth inning. In what would have been the 27th out and would have sealed the Perfect game, Jim Joyce, the umpire at First base at the time, called the runner safe. The scene at Comerica Park was of shock, utter disbelief, and from some fans, outrage. Some fans were very livid, and started directing their anger towards the umpire. I saw the game on Television that night, and was pretty shocked myself at first, but then realized a few mintues later that it was a mistake, and forgave the umpire. I attended the game on June 3, 2010, the day after this all transpired.
Before the game, Armando Galarraga was presented with a 2010 Chevrolet Corvette for his class and Sportsmanship amidst all that went down the night before. I think he handled it all as a professional and a gentleman. Six months after the fact, this still holds true.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...