Monday, November 22, 2010

Historic Anniversary: JFK'S ASSASSINATION (NBC-TV COVERAGE)(PART 1)

Today marks the 47th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy. The President and the First Lady were in Dallas, Texas at the time, and were riding through downtown Dallas with the Governor and First Lady of Texas in a motorcade when Lee Harvey Oswald shot at the president from the Book Depository located nearby. Many people remember where they were when they heard the news. The nation was in shock after the news broke, and mourned in a respectful manner in the days, weeks, and months afterwards. My parents remembered where they were when they heard the news. My late mom was a teenager at the time, and she heard the news on her way home from an after-school activity. She had told me she didn't believe it at first, but when she arrived home, she saw the news of the assassination on Television. My dad was in his early 20s at the time, and he remembers the the news cutting into regularly scheduled programs on TV and the radio with the news and updates throughout the day. They both remembered the funeral service and the viewing in the Capitol Rotunda. I remember going to Washington DC with my Middle School in the late '90s, and one of the sites we visited was Arlington Cemetery. We visited the Kennedy gravesite, which is located there.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...