Saturday, November 6, 2010

Veterans Parade


I went to the Veterans Day Parade today, and was surprised at the number of veterans and veterans groups in the parade. This was my second parade that I participated in, and It was a pretty good turnout, fewer people than there were last year. I talked with my Dad about this after I got home today, and he says that the Veterans Day parades used to be huge back in the '50s and '60s, with a lot of vets from the Korean War, World War II and maybe some from World War I and earlier wars that were living at the time. I read in the newspaper that the parade was discontinued in the '70s, and started back up a few years ago. Many groups, including a group dressed as Union Army soldiers and a group of Native American Soldiers and vets were present in the parade. This is a van from the Disabled American Veterans here in Detroit.I hope you can do something for veterans at all times of the year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...