Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Special Tribute: Remembering The Edmund Fitzgerald 1975

Today is the 35th Anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald in Lake Superior . I saw this video on shockoxj6's YouTube channel. The ship was carrying 29 men when she sank. I remember hearing my parents saying that they remember when they heard that the ship had sunk. There's a memorial service held yearly at Mariners' Church in Downtown Detroit. It's been held yearly, and a bell is rung 29 times for each man who passed, and more recently, a thirtieth toll of the bell is rung for all sailors who passed in Great Lakes maritime accidents over the years. Gordon Lightfoot wrote a song about it, that was released in the mid 1970s. Here is the Wikipedia page for the ship that has some interesting info.

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...