Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ford Auditorum '10

I heard on the news and read in the paper today that Ford Auditorium would be demolished in favor of an Ampitheatre for Hart Plaza, which sits right next door. Apparently, the city thinks that the former home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra hinders the future plans for the downtown area. When I heard what the future plans would be, I thought to myself, "What would be the use for another Ampitheatre when there is enough space for a Festival already?" I feel that Ford Auditorium can be used again as extra concert space downtown, and opened up again for that purpose.
These pictures of Ford Auditorium were taken this past July during one of my photo walks this past summer. I wrote a blog earlier this year about the Auditorium, as well as a couple of blogs in October 2009 and December 2009 about it, as well. The Auditorium opened in 1956 (the cornerstone was laid in 1955), and from what I read, was paid for by the Ford Family and some of the Auto Dealers in town. It used to be pretty good, acoustically, and held a lot of shows, speeches, concerts, and other events. The city council at the time is prominently listed near the front doorway. Billy Rogell was on City Council at the time, and is listed here. The Mayor at the time was Albert Cobo, who died in office in 1957, and Louis Miriani took over after he passed. My Dad remembers when Ford Auditorium was built, and was surprised to learn that it would be demolished. W
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...