Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Two Davids (Broderick and Whitney)

This picture is of the "Two Davids"-The David Whitney Building on the right, and the David Broderick Tower on the left. These two buildings are familiar sights downtown. I remember the Whitney building from when I was young. There's a People Mover stop inside, and my Mom and I went through here to get on the People Mover when I was a kid. The station is now accessible by stairway only since the Whitney Building closed. The sign on top that reads "David Whitney Building" used to light up at one time. The David Broderick tower once held many offices and radio station. The last business located in the Broderick Tower was a Sports-Themed restaurant, the "Sports Town Grill". It was the Flaming Embers for a long time before it closed giving way to the "Pit Stop" and the "Sports Town" Grill. Under that Verizon ad on the side of the building is a Wyland-painted sign of whales going up the side of the building. I've seen pics around the internet and in books of the buildings in their heyday. They ended up closing in the later parts of the 20th Century after many businesses went out of business or moved to the suburbs and other parts of town from downtown. The last I heard, someone was preparing to make lofts out of the David Broderick tower, and I'm not quite sure about the Whitney Building. I hope they can resurrect some businesses here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...