Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Duke in the Starlite

The old Duke Theatre I was going around town today, and I spotted the marquee for the old Duke Theatre in suburban Detroit, shown here as a old bowling alley. A picture of the Duke in its heyday can be found here at the Wayne State Virtual Motor City Collection. Reading the profile page about the theatre on Cinema Treasures, the theatre was named for Duke Ellington, and opened in the late 1940s. It closed a few years later as a theatre, and as you can see, a Bowling alley was one of a few reincarnations. I remember seeing signs for a Heating and cooling store here before they took the signs down for that recently. I like the color of this marquee, an aquamarine color. The design of this marquee reminds me of the old United Artists marquee in downtown Detroit that was removed from the buiding in late 2005 in cleanup efforts for the Super Bowl. More soon.
Lauren

No comments:

Maternity Homes

 This building and its past use has been on my mind here recently, as well as the former hospital, behind me as I was taking this picture, n...